Some big excitement to report this month….I was asked to feature in the ‘We Meet’ article published monthly in Sewing world magazine, of course I was very flattered and agreed! The article is not all about my handmade wardrobe, more an over view of all Bobbins and Buttons sewing activity, inspiration and tips. However I am wearing one of my new shift dresses made from my own pattern. These dresses have now become firm wardrobe stables. The coat I started last Winter and promised I would finish even though the season had changed is there as a big fat reminder that I didn’t finish it and now we are approaching Winter and I have to finish it!
A couple of other dresses made from commercial patterns are peeking through the photographs. One of my favorite wraparound dresses hanging on the radiator in the opening picture. I am also wearing my Alice in Wonderland border print dress in the photograph with the Sew Sociable team.
Talking of dresses, perhaps this is a shift to far but here’s another one. A piece of fabric bought in the John Lewis sale, I decided to squeeze it into the summer season before it was to late. It was earmarked as a shift dress when I bought it, before I realised I had around 6 already! Nevertheless I don’t think a girl can have to many. I added a chunky metal zip to this one, I like the contrast of the pretty print with the edginess of the zip.
This one I cut from a piece of fabric that I had used for several smaller projects. I think I originally planned a full skirted dress when I bought it, I must have bought 2-3 metres, but I think it is quite a loud print and probably needs to be served in smaller doses.
I tend to have cutting out ‘splurges’, followed by sewing ‘splurges’. This is the scene from the latest one. I actually ran out of pins.
I spotted this leather look jersey when I was shopping for jersey basics from the great local and online shop Vend fabrics for much needed input of t-shirts. I fancied trying it as a pair of leggings. I made a pattern from a pair I already had. The problem with making jersey garments is that the only real way to test the pattern is by making the garment in the real fabric because the stretch and elastane quantity alters the fit and is different in every quality of jersey. Though these fitted fine, the rise was a little low for me so I added a deep elasticated waistband and now I am happy with them.
This is my trusty favorite Topshop t-shirt that is white but has starting to look a little grey! I made a pattern from this top. My jersey fabric spend did include a piece of white viscose to make another like this, so I still have a white tee that is actually white!
I also bought this space dyed polyester single jersey which makes up really nicely in this slouchy shape.
Now onto the new season. I have lots of plans including finishing my coat. I have a list of new casuals including a few new t-shirts and a sweatshirt. I also have some plans for jersey fabric cardigan/jackets and some simple scarves to!