For the month of September I decided to take some time out from actual sewing and do some sewing planning. The thing about making all your own clothes is you do have to plan ahead a bit. With the change of seasons imminent it seemed a good time to pull out the stash and the unfinished box and have a good old look through the wardrobe.
The unfinished box wasn’t as bad as I thought. I made a pattern for a simple kimono just before my summer holiday in July and that has stayed in the unfinished box. It is only really four seams and some hemming, although on very floaty georgette fabric which will be tricky to sew, this is maybe why I have been putting it off! However I would like to finish this.
Immediately after I finished the dress I wore to the first Sew sociable event back in May, I cut out another one! I was really happy with the way the first dress had turned out and decided it would be perfect in this moth print fabric. However shortly after I cut it out I realised more summery clothing was a bit more important and this remained unfinished.
Version number two of the wrap back dress that I did a few months ago. I re-cut the pattern with a deeper wrap at the back to remove any risk of bum exposure! This has been cut out in lightweight denim and ready to go for some time.
While on the subject of the wrap back dress. I still like the original version that has an open back. It worked well to make an under dress for it. I found this navy embroidered border fabric to make another under dress. I feel navy is more appropriate for a winter version.
While searching through my stash I found this nice piece of medium weight dark red cotton. I am going to make up the adult version of my Rosy reversible dress with this. I’ve ordered a piece of darker burgundy for the other side and plan to put some big pockets on one side.
This is not the most exciting but I really want a couple of plain tops so I am going to make another top from one of the patterns I made in last months post in this black embroidery anglais.
This piece has been earmarked for a shirt for sometime. I am a bit of a fan of using quirky tongue in cheek prints for clothing.
And this fabric I had a dress idea planned around it, although I don’t have a pattern in mind at the moment.
I bought these jeans a few years ago and although I really like them, I never wear them. Inspired by a recent visit to see Cherry of Merriman’s Vintage jamboree who showed me lots of dyed vintage woolen blankets in fabulous colours. I have decided to give dyeing a go and hopefully change the colour of these jeans to something I might wear.
Talking of blankets. I bought this one last winter to make a biker style jacket and it never happened. As I still like the idea this one is back on the agenda.
One of my favourite brands is Toast, quite an expensive brand but lovely understated styles. The pair of Toast jersey trousers above inspired me to think about cutting a new trouser pattern and I found this charcoal grey ponte roma jersey to make them in.
While searching around for fabrics I came across these two pieces from one of my new favourite eBay sellers The Textile centre. This shop sells mainly dressmaking fabrics and also has a good selection of slightly more unusual things all at really great prices. These 2 are both going to be very simple pleated skirts. I don’t plan to use a pattern I just want to make deep knife or box pleats and add a zip and waistband.
I couldn’t resist these two prints for this dress pattern both bought from The Textile centre . I love the idea of a wooden dress! The hummingbird design I hope I can cut so the birds fly around the hem and the bodice is plain.
It looks like quite a decedent and extensive wardrobe, however I plan to make these items gradually over the colder months, and I obviously plan to not buy a single item of ready made clothing. Spend wise – I did have most of this in my stash but with the new pieces all in I have only spent around £50 – not bad for a winter wardrobe!