Rebecca’s suede scuba Amelia bomber jacket.

My Suede Scuba Amelia Bomber Jacket

As soon as I saw Julia post this suede scuba fabric, I knew it would make a fab bomber jacket, and luckily Julia agreed.

The fabric is a navy-based scuba with a leaf print, its 95% polyester and 5% elastane (weight 290gsm) and it feels like suede to touch. I chose an orange cotton rib from Bobbins and Buttons to go with the jacket. I’m really pleased with the colour match. I pre-washed the fabric on a normal 400 C wash and lined dry, with no issues (I don’t tumble dry scuba as this tends to lead to bobbling).

I already have the Amelia Bomber jacket pattern by Wardrobe by Me so set about cutting the pieces. The instructions for sewing the jacket I found straight forward until it came too attaching the rib band to the bottom of the jacket. It took some head scratching before I understood the method. I also checked out the Wardrobe by Me Facebook group for help. I think the result looks good, (as can be seen) but at points I didn’t think I would get it done.

Another issue I have is the pattern states that an 18-inch zip is required, which I purchased, and it turns out this is wrong! I was very upset and disappointed when sewing the jacket as it became apparent my 18” zip was not long enough. I measured and re-measured my zip and it is the recommended length. I’m not sure what has happened, but my zip was too short. It meant I had to shorten the jacket by approximately an inch so that the bottom of the jacket matched the bottom of the zip. The pocket opening, I feel could also be bigger, this would be easy to resolve. The pocket is still useable.

My measurements suggested I made a 44 bust to 46 hips and that’s what I did, grading from a 44 under the armscye to a 46 at the hip. I am happy with the overall fit. Other than my initial disappointment, feeling it was too short due to the inch which I had to remove. I feel it looks good. I have worn it and feel I can live with it.

Regarding the fabric, it being a scuba it doesn’t press well, and a low heat setting is required. It’s a medium-to-heavy weight fabric which meant the seams became bulky at points. Grading the seam allowances and using the suggested top stitching helped reduce this.

I used a satin remnant for the lining to ensure it was easy to get on and off, especially in the sleeves.

I’m really pleased with how this jacket has turned out and I love it in this fabric and ribbing. It’s going to be great for spring and autumn when the weather is cooler. I would say it’s an intermediate level pattern. I’m unsure about recommending it mainly due to the zip issue I had, but I love the finished garment. So, its up to you, but measure your fabric before buying/inserting your zip!

I do, however, recommend the fabric and think it would look great as a coatigan, dress or skirt. Thanks for reading, happy sewing,

Rebecca.

Please follow and like us:
Posted in

Julia Claridge

I was about 6 or 7 years old when I had my first go on a sewing machine, it was an old hand crank machine that my mum used with her patients, she was an occupational therapist. I still vividly remember watching with amazement as the tiny perfectly formed stitches were created as I turned the handle. I Grew up in the 70’s and 80’s when buying clothes was less affordable and dressmaking was an answer to updating your wardrobe more regularly. My own mother was a talented dressmaker who made most of my clothes and my sisters clothes as well as a many for herself. I soon got involved with making my clothes, I loved the whole experience of picking out fabrics, trims and a pattern to create a new outfit, then going home to make a new garment or outfit. When it came to leaving school I visited a careers advisor who asked what I wanted to do next. My answer was ..Sew! Read more...

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.