Testing the new Emily pattern.
A couple of weeks ago I launched the long awaited Emily pattern. I seemed to have been permanently side tracked last year and taken away from developing the patterns I wanted to. This year I decided to try harder to stick to my plan…so far so good.
As usual a lovely team of testers tested the pattern and gave me useful and important feed back. They also sent me some great photos of the versions they made that I’m allowed to share!
Abi made this lovely jumbo cord version without the optional centre seams, with the large front patch pockets. She inspired me to stock a range of jumbo cord because I think this fabric and style combo is perfect!
Karen made this fun star print needle cord version another ideal choice of fabric for this style.
The pattern includes the option of a centre front or back seam which is better for fabric economy and also adds the opportunity of making feature jeans style flat fell seams. However the way I had chosen to show this on the pattern created a bit of confusion for just about everyone. Thanks to the detailed feedback from Karen and some of the others I have changed both the pattern markings and the instructions to hopefully rule out any issues.
Karen chose the curved front bib and back pockets. She has made beautiful work of those curves. I have a blog tutorial if you need any help with getting neat curves.
This is another fun idea and great stash buster. Choosing craft weight cotton or similar for your facings. I think it really adds a designer touch to your garment, it is also the perfect solution if your main fabric is bulky.
Emma went for the inseam pockets and centre front and back seams. She also highlighted the advantages of a lighter weight fabric for the pocket bags especially if you are making the style in a heavier weight denim or cord fabric. This will reduce bulk and any unsightly lines at the hips. All useful tips and added to the final draft of the pattern.
Debbie made this gorgeous version in ditsy floral with the bib front pocket.
She finished the dress with dungaree clips, I like this mix of pretty and utility on one garment.
Louise made her version in raspberry herringbone twill. Keeping the style simple and pocket free, finished with buttons. A great blank canvas for wearing with different tops and legwear.
The Angie top was designed to be a useful wardrobe stable and an ideal partner to dresses like the Emily dress. For a snug fit downsize your Angie by one size but make sure there is the correct amount or more stretch than the pattern requires.
The Emily dress is currently available as a pdf only, the paper version will be available soon. I hope you enjoy the new pattern. Its great to see your versions if you feel like sharing your make on social media please don’t forget to tag us. #emilydress #releaseyourhandmade #bobbinsandbuttons