After last years World Book Day disaster when I was ready with a costume but then the school didn’t do the dressing up thing I got myself a bit more organised this year….starting with checking the school calendar to see if it was happening!! ..and it was.
This year I had not one but two costumes to think about, so we started the discussion about who they would like to dress up as. Starting with Ella, initially she wanted to go as a rainbow fairy, followed by numerous different Princesses. She was very excited about having a costume made and pointed out there were prizes for the winning costumes. I tried to explain that there were likely to be lots of Princesses and as it’s not the most original idea it would be unlikely to win a prize (also Mummy was slightly bored of making Princesses – insert gentle parental persuasion). So we moved on to other suggestions including Angelica Sprockets pockets. I thought it might be fun for her to draw the items in the pockets (she loves drawing) and choose the pockets to put the pictures in. In the end after a lot of discussion it was agreed Angelica Sprockets pockets…. as long as she was allowed to choose the fabrics for all the pockets!
Next I asked Joe what he would like to dress up as, preparing myself for answers that included dinosaurs or dragons. He ummmed for a few seconds so I started my suggestions with Stick man….immediate reply ..yes!
Both were easy makes but both had a fair bit of embellishment to do before the making started.
I made a onesie pattern mash from my hoody and slim fit jogger pattern for Stick man, I checked there was the right distance between the two for him to bend and sit down.
I bought some black polyester cord from Minerva crafts and some cheap and cheerful brown polar fleece from eBay for this costume. I free hand machine couched the cord onto the cut panels using zig zag stitch. Once all the panels were suitably decorated with tree like markings it was a super quick make.
I inserted a couple of felt leaves into the seam on the hood and on the sleeve while the sleeve was flat. Stick man complete!
After Ella had chosen around 70 scraps of fabric I began cutting out simple random rectangles. I pressed the upper edges of each pocket ready to sew in mass. I continued sewing these hems in a chain one after another for speed before snipping them apart and laying the pockets out on the cut panels of the coat. I think there were about 45 pockets in the end.
I used my reversible coat pattern for this, omitting the centre back pleat. I know its only dressing up but it is actually as quick to make with a lining in. I used some clearance polka dot cotton for the lining. Ella chose the buttons to add to some of the pockets and to fasten the front.
We all had fun creating the costumes. No prizes were won but two happy kids went school pleased with their costumes.