Last week there was much excitement about the yearly event – World book day. This always entails rustling up some sort of costume which is now automatically understood will be a Mummy make. I don’t think my kids even know that you can actually buy costumes for such events!
Last year was my little boys first World book day, I don’t think he really knew what to expect and was happy with my suggestion of a Stickman costume. My little girl always has her own ideas which usually comprise of anything very girly and princess like. The notice arrived from school with the details of World book day. I asked who they would like dress up as, I was really expecting some discussion and idea brainstorming but this time they both knew exactly what they wanted…
They both went off to their bookcases and returned presenting me with these two books for inspiration! You couldn’t have got more stereotypical girl/boy books if you tried! Nevertheless I was happy that they were so decisive in their choices and started thinking how to go about making the costumes.
It wasn’t to difficult to make the Rosa ballerina costumes. I found some glitter spot net at Minerva crafts along with white feathers and a glue gun. Several layers of net gathered on to an elastic waistband finished off with white feathers made a quick and simple tutu. I made a white t-shirt and glued diamontes in a swirl down the front. A fabric covered hairband with the same embellishment finished the outfit off.
She was thrilled with her outfit and jumped out of bed in the morning excited to put it all on.
I didn’t get off so lightly with my little boys costume. The dinosaur started to get a bit specific! It had to have a jaw/mouth! It had to have spikes so people didn’t think it was a crocodile! It needed teeth…phew! My idea of a hoody with a few spikes just got complicated. The jaw/mouth was an engineering task, I started off with an oval shape piece with one blunt end, at the other end I made two darts to give it a boxy shape. After adding the teeth I bagged it out in self fabric and planned to attach it to the hood face, however the weight of it made it flop down into his face. He patiently tried it on a hundred times while I tried to figure out a way of making it stay up. In the end I added a piece of heavyweight interfacing that threaded from the front of the mouth piece and fastened to the top at the back neck. I also hand stitched the inner edge of the mouth piece together where it joined the hood. Both of these combined made it stand a little straighter.
I used my skinny jogger pattern simplifying them by removing the pocket detail. I was keen to make the trousers something he could wear afterwards for everyday clothing. This boy grows way to quick and never has enough trousers!
The other important factor and reason for choosing this particular dinosaur book was the ….Poo!! They both helped me make the poo. I bought a pair of brown tights and they stuffed them with the filling from an old cushion. Once filled it was just a case of coiling them into a suitable poo like shape and stitching to hold in place. He was delighted with his dino poo!
They both loved their costumes. Another fun World book day complete!